Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 145

    Utne

    August 30, 2017 in Norway ⋅ 🌙 10 °C

    And way out west we went.. all the way to the Fjords.

    The drive was MAGNIFICENT. Firstly winding up through the mountains where we first glimpsed actual snow on the mountains. Cue a stop at the side of the road where we jumped out in shorts and bare feet to take photos. Surrounded by geared up hikers in boots and jackets.. the Brits really were on tour!

    Winding down the other side of the mountains the road opened up to our first sight of the Fjords..

    Took. my. Breath. Away. We had to take a car ferry across to the body of land where we were staying. Whilst waiting we did a shop for a couple of days worth of food which bankrupted us all.

    What followed for me was days of the most spectacular scenery of our trip. Our accommodation was an old school house sitting on the shore of the Hangerfjord. The view from one of our windows in photo 1. we had direct access to the Fjord, which was freezing, and only Luke was brave enough to jump in. Although I did crouch down to cover up to my neck..

    Everywhere we drove was beautiful but treacherous as there are steep drops on many sides of the roads winding along the coast of the Fjords, where lorries and buses fly around hairpins at 80kmph….

    We went for a walk up some steep rocks which we decided to descend when the rain came across the Fjord and made our return quite slippery. Worth the short hike for a more expansive view, blocked in the attached photo by me and Hannah!

    None of these drives however compared to my fear the day we decided to visit the ski centre nearby. We had learnt of the ability to ski nearby and whilst I didn’t intend to ski I was keen to see snow in August! So our first hurdle was negotiating passing a herd of cows on a single track road lead by a farmer who had clearly given up. He half heartedly shooed them away to enable us to pass all but about 2 who refused to budge instead continuing to block our path without a care in the world. Ignoring Stuarts insistence that they would move if I drove at them, me arguing how we would explain the car shaped dent in the bonnet to Kev, I stayed behind bricking myself that they would turn and launch themselves at the car. Following this first stressful ordeal, the second hurdle was working the toll barrier - which didn’t want to accept any of our cards - whilst avoiding a herd of deadly (or just nosey) sheep. Heading straight for us and staring intently, my friend was terrified they would attack. Just in the nick of time the barrier rose and safely in the car we drove onward and definitely upward toward the ski centre. Watching the temperature drop and the roads becoming increasingly moist, I started to feel a few nerves. Continuing up into the now snow laced heights, sheer drops accompanying narrow roads meant I had never been more pleased to see a WC when we got to the top. Quick stop for a pic of the Glacier skiers and back down to calm my nerves with a stiff cup of tea!

    We had relaxing days, partly due to the huge cost of many of the activities vs budget. Did enjoy a few exorbitantly expensive beers and an inside BBQ. No real internet meant we managed to play lots of rounds of Mexican train :)
    Read more