Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 242

    Kuala Lumpur part 2

    December 5, 2017 in Malaysia ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Arriving at the plush lobby of the Shangri-la Hotel in KL, they were happy to check us in even though it could have been no later than 9am. From start to finish it has been a fabulous experience. The hotel is gorgeous, the staff are very accommodating and no-one has made us feel any less than 5* even though we definitely look more 2*!! Hence it was not really an issue to spend the whole first day here. Relaxing, eating and swimming in the pool with the view of the KL tower. Our room had a view over the sky scrapers opposite that is quite impressive at night.

    The breakfast choice was just incredible. I have never seen so many options. The proximity of China and India was clear with extensive Chinese and Indian choices for the breakfast buffet. The Malaysian/Chinese Nyonya curry was a favourite of mine. There were samosas, Chinese tarts, salmon, all types of eggs, pastries, pizza, salads, pasta and even icecream and TWO chocolate fountains. No surprise then that we didn't eat lunch once whilst we were here!

    Twice we visited the nearby Jalan Alor. It is a street filled with food stalls and restaurants for Malay, Chinese and Thai cuisine amongst others. We had some great street food and tried to ensure we tried some Malaysian dishes. A favourite being Mee Goreng - a noodle dish. The place was packed with locals and tourists alike so we were glad to find a seat. The place was packed, noisy and smelly - both good with the variety of food being cooked fresh and bad with the smell of the Durian fruit.. a local fruit that smells so awful in its natural form that it is banned from most places - including our hotel!

    As some of you will be aware, it was my 35th birthday whilst we were staying at the hotel. Admittedly I had read that the hotel may do something similar - good old trip advisor - so I was desperately hoping that I too would be the recipient of a treat. And once again the hotel did not disappoint a chocolate - my favourite! - birthday cake was brought to the room. It was delicious and I was delighted!
    Read more