Satellit
Visa på kartan
  • Dag 16

    Gurusina Traditional Village

    10 november 2023, Indonesien ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    We took a spontaneous stop at that traditional village, which is still proudly in use by three tribes. They set up their tribal symbol in the middle of the compound. As they rebuilt almost all the houses after a fire, we just missed a big celebration, where each house killed a Buffalo. All in all 27 buffalo were killed and we could still see the jaws of them hanging at each house to show the wealth of that family.
    While strolling around the village, there were not many people there, as most of them work. Instead we greeted some older inhabitants as well as some graveyards of the passed-away ones. Apparently in Flores there is no rule, where to bury your loved ones, so all over the island we already found tombs, sometimes bigger and more beautifully decorated than the houses where people lived in...

    And on the way to our next stop, we caught a big surprise! A tree had fallen over just briefly before and the road was blocked. Luckily our driver was prepared "for the countryside" with a big machete knife as well as a saw. So with the help of more people arriving to that part of the street we could manage to get that big tree out of our way within just a few minutes!
    Imagine if a tree had fallen over in Germany - I wouldn't have a machete to cut it down 😅
    Läs mer