Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 51

    Last day in Copenhagen

    May 6, 2023 in Denmark ⋅ 🌬 11 °C

    Copenhagen 6/5
    Two weeks with the Polish family has gone past all too quickly and we’re packing up now, setting off for Italy first thing Sunday morning.

    This morning we headed for Tivoli Gardens in sporadic sunshine and the same bitter wind – we spent a fair amount of time waiting for the kids to have their rides but never mind, they had a pretty good time especially on the last one which was a 360 degree roller coaster. Both admitted to being a bit scared, and the photos taken bear that out, but they said it was a lot of fun.

    We had pizza for lunch, nice Italian restaurant, and that was my birthday treat (one day early). Unlike Legoland the adults didn’t go on any rides but we did a fair bit of people-watching. Tivoli was fairly busy but the entertainment stages were packed with young people singing, playing instruments etc so I think a lot of the people in the park were family supporters. There was one large group playing recorders………..I think many of us would think back to our own kids’ efforts when they were six or seven and smile/grimace?

    The gardens themselves are lovely, lots of tulips and daffodils out at the moment, hyacinths and there was a line of about ten small fig trees about five feet tall, all had quite a bit of fruit on which surprised me. Some of the rides were closed and there’s not a lot of them, it’s only about a quarter the size of Legoland I think, and there were two or three sideshow alleys where you tried to hit a target etc, so in that respect it was more commercial.

    It filled in a solid 4 ½ hours anyway, and we had a good walk there and back. A nice way to finish the holiday.

    A few more things I’ve noticed or that we’ve done:
    • We’ve had lovely fresh croissants every morning thanks to a great bakery around the corner and two men happy to take an early walk to get provisions, delicious.
    • The days are quite long here, it’s light around 5am and still fairly light to almost 9.30 – wish we had the temperatures to match, it’s been 10 or below with a bitter wind for a few days. Never mind, looking forward to 20+ in Italy.
    • I like knowing how old buildings are, and with New Zealand being so ‘young’ it’s quite exciting to see a building with a date on it from 16- or 17-something. And you see beautiful statues and wonder who they are or what they did. I’ve put a few random photos in this post.
    • In the shops I’ve seen a Nutella equivalent called ‘Crunchie Spread’ – chocolate with hokey pokey in it apparently, I love Crunchies but this doesn’t do it for me.
    • In Denmark cat treat Temptations are called ‘Catisfactions’ – same picture on the packet.
    • I love Werther’s Originals toffees – and found a packet of Werther’s caramel popcorn, it’s delicious.

    And that’s it from Denmark.
    Read more