Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 207

    Teothihucan

    July 11, 2022 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    Our last day in Mexico and we headed out of the city to visit the ruins of Teothihucan, settled as early as 400 B.C. it became the most powerful and influential city in the region by 400 A.D but was abandoned sometime around 750 A.D and archeologists are still trying to figure out why.

    Set out in a grid layout that covers around 20 square kilometers, It contained around 2,000 single-story apartment compounds, as well as the main centre pieces , the Sun Pyramid, the Moon Pyramid and the Temple of Quetzalcoatl, all of which lay on its main thoroughfare, the Avenue of the Dead. Standing at 66 metres high, the pyramid of the sun is one of the largest still standing from the pre-colombian era, truly impressive when you consider it was all done by hand.

    The small museum on site has a great model of the entire complex and houses some of the treasures that have been found over the years including some intricate stone carvings and very complex pottery. Although from a similar era this site feels a lot grander than the previous two we had seen.

    After exploring the site for a few hours the sun was getting hotter so we headed to a nearby restaurant which has been built inside of a cave. A really cool spot to eat and quite practical as well considering its the wet season and the weather changes in an instant. Luckily we endured the flash thunder storm from the dry and comfortable cave and devoured a very tasty Mexican dinner.

    An early night for us as we are off to Costa Rica tomorrow, bitter sweet as it's always exciting to see new counties but we'll be sad to say goodbye to our amazing hosts Yei and Eduardo, we feel that there is a lot of Mexico we haven't seen yet but I suspect we might come back here one day.
    Read more