Satellite
  • Day 1,085

    A thousand steps! That's all?

    July 15, 2018 in India

    "881.. 882.. 883...
    Devika, if I don't make it down, tell my friends I love them!"

    My legs had started shivering at this point and I was seriously contemplating rolling into a ball and rolling down the hills. Hey! Blame Tom and Jerry for teaching me that!
    Our throats parched, we sat down on the 884th step awaiting the inevitable.

    You might think I'm exaggerating, probably I am, but this all started when we made a plan yesterday to visit the Chamundi temple. Built atop the Chamundi Hill, the temple commemorates the victory of Lady Chamundeshwari over the demon Mahishasura, after whom the the city of Mysuru is named. It is one of the, if not the most famous places in Mysore and expectedly people come in droves to seek blessings and offer gratitude.

    So when my friend Devika said, "Hey Anish, did you know that there are a thousand steps built by the side of the hill, which people climb up and down for good luck?" I was eager to explore it for good videography shots. Especially since 500 steps down, we could book a cab online and ride the rest of the way down.
    The first couple of hundred steps flew by, shooting pictures and videos.
    300 steps.
    The Nandi temple is a beautiful piece of architecture.
    500 steps.
    What we had not taken into count, was the fact that there are no internet towers atop a hill.
    In hindsight, a grave mistake. So we were in for a rude shock when we stood there with our smart and advanced phones useless without a connection. Now I know how aliens feel when they come to earth!
    I turned to Devika, "The way I see it, we have two options. 500 steps up or 500 steps down. And I remember my Physical Ed teacher telling me that climbing down is easier. So down we go!."
    Let me tell you guys, I think what my Physical education teacher had assumed was that all steps are of the same height. And in real life, on man-made steps cut into a hill, it is not so.
    The steps got progressively steeper and our breathing got more laboured.
    "700 steps down. We have fallen quite low." I sighed.
    Devika cocked her eyebrow, "Really? A staircase joke?"

    And it finally brought us to the 885th step. Where we sat, spent and exhausted. And just as I could see no light to the end of the tunnel, as my eyes started drooping, I heard Devika say what every guy wants to hear, "Anish, I managed to book an Uber!"
    And thus ended our adventure of StairMaster. Needless to say, we almost kissed the driver and took the Uber to tour the rest of the city spots. It was a day well walked, and as I had kadhai chicken that night at the food court, I admitted, maybe it's worth a second try! Not anytime soon though!
    Read more