Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 38

    Lolo Pass Adventures

    June 14, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 11 °C

    We made it up and over Lolo Pass yesterday.
    The territory in eastern Idaho has no cell reception. For about 65 miles, so we were unexpectedly out of range in an area with few campsites and no services; no convenience stores, no restaurants, just about nuthin! We made it through with a pile of days of climbing, so enough about that.
    The Lochsa River is Spectacular! Class 4 rapids are made by streams that sun as they joyfully join the river. We ate on a sandbar one day. We camped 50 feet from the river once. Biking is a great way to see this territory because I can hear crickets and birds on the shore side in one ear, and the river in the other.
    It’s GLORIOUS!
    On our way down from Lolo, we got nailed by an hour long rainstorm, including a half hour of driving hail coming in at about a 30 degree angle from the ground. Whew! Glad to be out of that. Thunder and lightning continued on and off through the night, but we stayed dry in our tents. This morning it’s mixed clouds and blue skies.
    We visited with the other riders last night in Missoula. We will see if we can keep up. Today we resupply. Thank you Bonnie for sending me a package of supplies that I will pick up at Adventure Cycling HQ.
    Once we restock, we’ll head onward.
    Read more