Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 61

    Bali: Diving license

    May 30, 2022 in Indonesia ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    After learning to surf only at 31 it was also high time to learn diving. And I have to admit, the experience of weightlessly floating in another mysterious world, one that is much vaster than the one we wander, one that is silent and loud at the same time, pristine and crumbling, dark and yet so colorful, has left a deep awe in me. More so than surfing.

    My diving friend michael (Irish) and Carla (German) shared these fantastic moments with me and the exstacy we felt when a giant manta ray or turtle passed us in full majestic presentation swimming effortlesly past us. We just all couldn’t stop smiling for the rest of the day after those dives.

    We had a great guide (Emi). He made so many jokes and gigles constantly, which he continues to do under water by gestures, which calmed me down. His previous job was searching for corpses in Jakarta on river beds and he once almost perished to the sea when he dived after his gopro down to 60m, lost proper brain function, made it to 30m, was pulled out by his colleagues and resurfaced (NO2 decompression sickness), where half his body was temporarily paralysed.

    __Sir horsealots research diaries 🐴🔬🧪__
    Hello dear research community! Just checking in. I was observing Tino from above snorkeling with my horse snorkel kit and made some life extending conclusions:
    i) Diving is a safe sport when the safety rules are regarded
    ii) Always dive with a partner, never alone, as she/he can help you and give you oxygen in case of an emergency
    iii) Dive your plan and don’t divert from it
    iv) Never stop breathing
    v) Use the air volume in your lungs to control bouyancy and not the bcd (bouyancy control device aka inflatable jacket)
    vi) Keep close and check with your partner regularly
    Read more