Satellite
  • Day 184

    A day with Colombian locals

    March 9, 2020 in Colombia ⋅ ☀️ 35 °C

    One of those days as a bike tourist again... We got an invite again: Delwin invited us to stay with him in his village Pelaya. As it was going to be extremely hot as always, we started early from El Banco. And as it was all flat with no wind in the morning, we arrived in Pelaya at 10:30am already, including a short stop for fresh orange juice.
    Delwin picked us up from a supermarket and showed us his office where we could put our matresses for the night. We quickly showered out of a bucket (they cut off the running water during the day) and he gave us a tour around his former school. Then we went with the 3 of us on a scooter to Delwin's house, stopping at many places on the way to meet his family and friends. His girlfriend had prepared fish with rice and yuka for lunch. We then spent the afternoon relaxing in his backyard and discussing German and Colombian culture. Delwin is extremely well educated and knows a lot about European history. He also knows a lot of German football players and sportsmen in general.
    Late afternoon, he had a surprise for us. We went on a boat trip on the nearby lake. On the way there, we stopped for some corn drink and great laughter with a funny man - he was definitely a personality!
    The boat trip was great. We saw heaps of birds and an amazing sunset. No caiman though, although they had told us there were plenty of them in the lake. The boat wasn't really stable. As soon as someone moved, we almost rolled over. But in the end, nothing happened of course.
    Back in the village, we went out for empanadas for dinner and back into the office to go to sleep early.
    Read more