Satellite
  • Day 315

    Grants Yard, Burton on Trent

    April 15, 2017 in England ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    I had forgotten how stressful it is to move house. Even when you aren't moving "House" as a house -share room renter its stll very easy to amass a lot of "stuff" ...doubly compounded when you aren't moving to a new address but are temporarily suspending life in the UK and only storing things or getting rid of them. As a result of moving madness I decided to push my flight to germany back a few days from Monday silly o'clock to Wednesday afternoon. I didn't want to admit defeat of not meeting my 9 day prep target, but feeling like a frazzled worker ant I had to let it slide!

    I decided to sell all of my furniture after looking into storage costs - it was looking like circa 50GBP per month for a cotainer of sorts and most of my furniture was IKEA, so replaceable and meaningless so it had to go!

    Thanks to gumtree and facebook I managed to sell 2 x bedside tables, 1 bed, 1 bookcase, 2 x chests of drawers, a laundry basket and a desk and chair within 2 weeks. It was tight, it led to sleepless nights but its done!

    A VW Golf is like a tardis - a guy came to collect an IKEA double width dresser with 8 drawers in a 3 door mark 5... with his girlfriend in the passenger seat. AND A DOG! My housemate was peering out of the window and was also absolutely positive that the dresser wouldn't fit into his car. Well, it did. the boot shut and his girlfriend and dog were still sat happily upfront.

    The other extreme was the lady who came from Lichfield to buy my 2 meter tall bookcase. She had a VW UP.... with 4 doors, so i was a little more hopeful. Unhelpfully the rear seats all fold down in one, leaving her son with nowhere to realllly safely sit. She declined offers of disassembling the bookcase as well as my offer to try and wrap the legs of the unit in the blanket she had in the car to prevent it touching the glass of the rear window. Thankfully she did take me up on the offer of tying the boot lid down with string... As I didn't hear of any traffic incidents involving a bookcase and a boy flying down the A38 I assume all got home safely! Not something I wanted on my conscience!

    I found a 20 Zlotych note in the desk drawers -. I've been reliably informed that that's sufficient for a good night out a a 4 zlotych bar... let's see!
    Read more