Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Near Reims - Aire

    December 15, 2023 in France ⋅ ☁️ 5 °C

    There are quite a few upside down place-name signs in these parts. We've read that farmers are peed off with all the impossible directives the government are imposing. They use the phrase everything's upside down, hence the signs method of protest. Quite mild and gentle for the French.

    Had picnic lunch of baguette, cheese, citron flan and choc éclair, amongst puddles by a swollen river.

    Headed off for Reims (pronounced Reemz if you're British speaking but French pronounce it Raahns), where John had found a central Aire. Good for cathedral viewing and walking around, viewing twinkly Christmas lights we thought. On arrival, there was a barrier down. I went to ask for an entry code at a bureau as the sign instructed. Unfortunately, they informed me that it was full up, so no spaces available. Another campervaner asked us about it, and I tried to explain in pigeon French.

    In navigating our way out of the city, my phone flashed up something about the emissions zone, which I think we inadvertently entered. Whoops. There's a hefty €68 Euro fine (doubling within 45 days) if you don't have a sticker. We don't 🙁. You have to have them delivered to UK, and Brits can't buy them over here. Heck, we should have looked at that before leaving. Next year, they're introducing cameras, and fines are in huge hundreds of Euros numbers. Italy may also pose a problem. Hopefully, we won't inadvertently enter another zone. There are many! Hard work this holiday business!
    Read more