Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Sur la Pont ...

    December 19, 2023 in France ⋅ 🌙 8 °C

    We drove past Avignon in spring 2022 and said at the time that we'd like to stop and look around some time, and here we are. We were actually warm this afternoon. It was 14° at one point. Took a detour to a picnic spot, which turned out to be a windy trek uphill to a windmill and posh houses en route. Very tall thin cypress trees are the local style. Passed a large dam over the Rhone with dramatically turbulent water. Also noticed when the college students came out, they nearly all had black or dark brown hair. Must be near the Mediterranean. Very noticeable to us Brits, not a blond amongst them.
    Had a stroll over the bridge and had a drink in a street cafe. There was a Christmas Market on and lots of lights. Bijou shops, rather like Bond St. Pretty quiet streets. It was early for most people, I guess it gets busy later on.
    Bagatelle (ACSI) campsite is pretty large but convenient and just a walk over the bridge from the town.
    * ,"(We think it used to be a strategic encampment during WW2. Must look into that.) " *
    * Apparently, it's only me that thought the above. I'm reliably informed that it's the planting of the plane trees that provides evidence of it being a former Napoleonic camp / staging area.
    Hey, above zero tonight! A low of 6°. The highest yet!
    Read more