Satelliitti
Näytä kartalla
  • Päivä 16

    A riverside walk upstream

    26. joulukuuta 2023, Ranska ⋅ 🌙 9 °C

    Swimming pool was STILL closed this a.m., but when I asked why, it turns out it is open after all. Just we should have known that there's a button to press to open up the garage door type rollers. There were many others who also came and thought it was closed too.
    By the time I found out, I had just showered and didn't want to swim by then.
    Did laundry, lunched, and went out in warm sunshine to walk up alongside the river on a woodland path up to the old village of Villeneuve Loubet. Saw a place that John could have envisaged himself in as a summer or permanent residence. Not for me though. A little too ramshackled and hard maintenance for my liking. It was a 5.5 mile 'there and back' walk, over rivers and under railways or roads, returning in time before it got dark with a quiet bar stop for a coffee and a hot chocolate. For some reason, John's body is telling him it's not mad keen on tea at the moment. This is a new one for me.

    I thought the English were meant to be THE nation of dog lovers. There were tons of dogs on our walk, so France seems to be the same, if not more so.

    We saw a flamingo surrounded by ducks, swans, gulls etc and a bloke clad in a yellow jacket, trying to get up close with them, wading in amongst them all.

    This area was apparently a big growing area a while back. Carrots, garlic, artichokes, perfume plants, tobacco, potatoes, grapes, figs and more that I can't recall. A lot of signs told us all about it, in French. We understood enough to discover that there was a major weather event and floods in 1822.

    Today, whilst outside, John announced that he's warm! Think that's a first this holiday!
    Lue lisää