Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 38

    A warm and windy walk

    January 17 in Spain ⋅ 🌬 15 °C

    Lots of sunshine, lots of wind and lots of pics today. Just a short 3 mile walk up to a statue of Jesus preaching, with many statues on route of him carrying the cross. It was mapped as a circular walk but the return leg was a very steep path parting from the road over a metal barrier. I did this section mostly on my bum. Thankfully, the video which John took of the occasion didn't work. We extended it a little and found a great picnic area spot with loads of stones for tables and seats and general fun. No-one else there apart from a camper. But the ladies toilet was open and unvandalised, even had toilet paper. They're very good for that in Spain. There were many long ups and downs so we were ready for a tea and coffee in the grounds of the hotel for the sanctuary. Only €2.50 in total. There were a couple there who spoke to us with English accents to tell us the cafe was open, it had seemed locked. John said something friendly to them about it being rare to come across British people on our travels but they barely answered. So it was pretty clear they didn't want conversation. They were probably trying very hard to avoid Brits.
    There's a range of vehicles staying here from French, Swiss, Dutch, German and Spanish. We've only seen 2 campers from the UK in our whole journey. The lady in the campsite said she used to fill up over winter with Brits, until the 90 rule came in and apparently they now go to Morocco.
    Read more