Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 76

    Nr Caceres to Tourquemada

    February 24 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 6 °C

    This is a repeat visit. We were here 4 years ago on 12 Feb 2020, when Harvey was just a twinkle in John's eye.
    He remembered that there was a place here for vans, so after searching for our 2020 post on Find Penguins, we saw that it's ideal. It's quiet and just off the main route to St Jean de Luz. That said, there are 4 'UK' vans and 1 'E' van here.
    Extremadura has lovely and interesting landscapes. Some unusual rock formations, some yellow or white carpeted large olive groves, cows, sheep, plus of course, the ubiquitous Iberian pig farms and meat processing plants with transport to match.
    We even saw some spring green leaves, and pink or white blossom on trees. Mind you, there was also snow on mountain tops, as we took the scenic route so ended up on passes and got to 1,202 metres. Higher than most UK mountains.

    We were curious why a place like Bejar had so many houses and where did they all work? It's a remote area. Turns out it was a big textile producer and later garments. Started 13th Century and well known in 19th Century but declined in the 1970s and railway line closed in the 1990s.
    There were loads of derelict buildings, including farms and hostels due we think to there being a new and fast motorway running parallel to the old road we we were on, and taking away any passing trade by lorry drivers. Our route was slower but so un-busy and much more interesting.
    There was one place en route, which was nearly all hostels. Catering for the Camino de Santiago. We saw a few people doing it. Though none bearing a cross, which we actually did see on a previous trip.
    It's cold here, currently 7° but an icy wind. When we stopped for lunch,'see previous post' we even had hailstones. A big change for our bodies to cope with!
    Read more