Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Nice

    April 26, 2016 in France ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Wow. I have heard that Nice was a must-see but I was not prepared for this. We had a full day to explore Nice so we had to make it count.

    We started first at the Old Town (Vieille Ville). This was the best Old Town we have seen thus far. Narrow alleyways snake through vibrant markets selling all sorts of things. One of our favourites displayed various salts from around the world in big jars. You can buy them in smaller amounts where they're packaged into test tubes - brilliant! The owner said her favourite salt is one from the Murray River in Australia. We never even knew that the Murray produced salt. We'll have to give this a go at home.

    We finally got to the waterfront where the view completely floored us. The water was iridescent blue. The last time we saw waters this beautiful was in Exmouth and Coral Bay. This Mediterranean coast is unique as it doesn't have white sandy beaches. Instead, the French strip off to their underwear on a warm day and lie on the large pebbles on the beach. By warm, I mean 20degC with bone-chilling winds.

    The best views of the coastline and Nice are to be had at the top of Castle Hill, just at the end of the promenade. If you ever get the chance to visit Nice, you will see that the photos here cannot do it justice. We wish we could spend more time here.

    This is our last French city for now. Tomorrow we will make our way to Italy.
    Read more