Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 200

    Mancora

    July 15, 2017 in Peru ⋅ ☁️ 23 °C

    Maria and Bianca both had reservations for different hostels but when I told them I was staying at the Point hostel close to the beach they both decided to join me there. The hostel was one of the party hostels with happy hour three times a day and a full moon party saturday night. But it only came second after Loki which was located more convenient in town so the need to party wasn't to bad. It wasn't the nicest hostel but somehow it had a good vibe and we met a lot of nice people. There was a sign outside the hostel saying "You only think you are leaving but you will be back" - almost everybody I met here (including me) stayed longer than originally planned.
    On our first night we met Nik, a guy from New Zealand and Midas, a guy from Belgium. We had dinner and a few drinks together but all went to bed quite early - I don't know why these days of traveling are always so tiring.
    The next morning Bianca met Kyle, a guy she had met before in Bolivia. He was traveling with two girls, Becky from England and Maria from Holland. We all ended up going to Los Organos together to swim with the turtles. The whole thing was supertouristy. You went to a beach where you had to pay to enter a landing bridge to see the turtles. To actually go into the water you had to pay again. Here you became a life vest and where allowed to swim within a marked square in the ocean. The turtles were free to leave at any time but as they were fed they didn't have a reason and didn't mind the kicking and screaming tourists. I had never touched a turtle so I couldn't stop myself from doing it. I got a little scared when the really big ones came close but I made friends with the smaller ones.
    Back in Mancora we talked to different bus companies to figure out how and when we would leave the next day. Nik who was planning on leaving that day decided to stay a day longer and bought a ticket together with Kyle, Becky and dutch Maria to go to Guayaquil overnight the next day. Bianca, Maria and I couldn't make up our minds and decided to buy our tickets the next day.
    After all that organization work we went to the beach together and had ceviche and beer.
    Back at the hostel decorations had started for the full moon party. We started drinking with the next happy hour and hung out all together around the pool. A few more people joined our crew as Kyle, Becky and dutch Maria left to party in town at Lokis. The party wasn't really special but we still had a little to much to drink.
    I woke up the next morning feeling lazy and decided not to check out and catch an overnight bus to Huaraz that night but stay another night. When I told Maria she was still up for catching the bus to Lima later in the afternoon but she came around and decided to also stay another night.
    We went to town later that day and bought our tickets. Other than that we spend the day at the pool enjoying the sun. Kyle, Becky and dutch Maria spend the afternoon at Lokis again and got back to the hostel pretty drunk. I still felt hangover and didn't know how they did it but maybe it's actually easier than to sober up. They went to catch the nightbus with Nik after dinner and our group shrank quite a bit.
    The next day we all didn't do a lot besides chilling by the pool and eating before getting on our busses around 5pm. Bianca and Maria took the fancy "Cruz del Sur" bus with airplane like service and food to Lima while I got on my cheap "Challenger" bus that should drop me in Casma for another bus to Huaraz.
    Read more