Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Water Puppets, Temples & Overnight Train

    July 6, 2017 in Vietnam ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    We said a sad goodbye to Halong Bay today and made our way back to Hanoi. Following a quick visit to the Temples of Literature, we watched a traditional Vietnamese Water Puppet Show before boarding our overnight train to Hue. The less said about our train journey the better, but it was definitely an "unforgettable" experience with our new friends! 🦎🐭🐜🚂

    Lonely Planet

    Temples of Literature

    Founded in 1070 by Emperor Ly Thanh Tong, the Temple of Literature is dedicated to Confucius (Khong Tu). Inside you'll find a pond known as the 'Well of Heavenly Clarity', a low-slung pagoda and statues of Confucius and his disciples. A rare example of well-preserved traditional Vietnamese architecture, the complex honours Vietnam’s finest scholars and men of literary accomplishment. It is the site of Vietnam’s first university, established here in 1076, when entrance was only granted to those of noble birth.

    Thang Long Water Puppet Theatre

    The world-famous Thang Long Water Puppet Theatre in Hanoi has its roots in an art form that dates back to the 11th century. The tradition of water puppet theatre stems from a time when rice paddy fields were flooded and villagers would make entertainment by standing in the waist-deep water with the puppets performing over the water. Using large rods to support the puppets it appeared as if they were moving across the water with the puppeteers hidden behind a screen.

    Shows at this modern theatre are performed in a pool of water as the stage for the puppets. The puppets are controlled by no more than eight puppeteers hiding behind a bamboo screen. The renowned Thang Long Water Puppet show is considered to be one of the cultural highlights of Northern Vietnam dating back to a tradition that first started in the Red River Delta. Today’s performances usually include a number of short sketches rather than one long story, taking the audience on a journey of ancient village life, agricultural harvests and dances of mythical creatures. Most shows also feature the famous Legend of the Restored Sword of King Le which tells the tale of Hoan Kiem Lake and the giant tortoise. The live music plays an integral part of the show with singers often shouting words of encouragement to the puppets.

    Food:
    Thanh Hop, 12 Đinh Liệt, Hàng Đào, Hoàn Kiếm, Hà Nội

    Helio Coffee Shop, 57B, Dinh Tien Hoang Street, Hang Bac Ward, Hoan Kiem District, Lý Thái Tổ, Hoàn Kiếm, Hà Nội, Vietnam
    Read more