Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Poor Casablanca

    December 16, 2019 in Morocco ⋅ 🌧 9 °C

    The movie Casablanca has really romanized the city. In reality the city has 7 million people, is polluted and no one really tours it but if is the start of many Moroccan tours.

    Our tour left at 8am and we headed to Volubilis a city that that the Romans created back in the day when they were trying to takeover the world. The French started excavating in 1912 and in 1997 it became an Unesco sight. (For those who care to learn more https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volubilis) It was cool but I really enjoyed the olive trees and the green lush fields. Not what I was expecting from Morocco but it makes sense as they have a lot of olives.

    Then it was off go to a G Adventure funded charity where we got a traditional lunch. Which is a 4 course event. First you start with “salad” which is not salad like we know it is different types of vegetables smashed up. Like eggplant in tapenade style. You put this on fresh yummy bread. Second course is the tagine dish which is some sort of meat cooked in a tagine with spices (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tajine ) and couscous. Third course is fruit (oranges, bananas, apples) Fourth is a cookie and mint tea. It is all rather delightful.

    We made it to Fés at 5pm and checked into our massive room. While it is no St. Ermins it does have more seating areas than I know what to do with.
    Read more