Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Train strike is real

    December 23, 2019 in France ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    We woke up without an alarm and it was amazing. We slowly dragged our asses out of bed and the flat and went for breakfast at Benedict. They had amazing eggs benedicts. Mine was a mushroom truffle delight.

    The afternoon was spent seeing the sights. We went to the Louvre, took our picture and walked around the outside. To actually do the Louvre properly you need a while day and we did not have the time.

    We then decided to see the Arc de Triomphe. The plan was simple take the train to the the closest stop and walk 5 minutes. We went down to the metro station, it was busy with people and seemed normal. We each purchased a 10 pack of tickets and got on the train.

    The train whizzed by our stop and a few others. We got off and thought maybe we got on an express train. Nope. There were just stops we could not get to. So we abandoned that plan and went to find Cafe de Flore, an old cafe that Picasso used to go to that is not frequented by instagrammers. The best part was getting there as we took a train and did not need tickets as all gates were open. At this point we were like why did we buy tickets?

    Anyways we had few glasses of wine and cheese at the cafe and laughed at instagrammers. We were just getting ready to head back home to get ready for the ballet when Lynds checked her email. The ballet was being cancelled due to the union strikes. Seriously. We were like WTF and sad. Not knowing what to do next we had another glass of wine. We then walked to a department store with a really cool display.

    We deduced we needed onion soup and more wine. Google found a highly rated restaurant close to us so we went to it. It was closed for the holiday season. So we went for a glass of wine and googled another spot. We decided to take the metro to the new spot. Nope that was not happening as the entrance was closed shut. Bah! We finally sucked it up and got a taxi.

    We finally ended up finding a place with great soup and snails. It is not the day we had planned but can you really have a bad day in Paris?
    Read more