Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Sabres, Champagne and Riverdance

    September 2, 2022 in Ireland ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    Riverdance was a favourite of mine in the later 90s. Monika and I attempted to Irish dance in the kitchen to the Riverdance and Lord of the Dance soundtracks on the regular. When I found out that they had the 25th anniversary show while we would be in Dublin I purchased tickets right away.

    The hotel was a 5 min walk to the theatre and I was craving salad (shocking I know) so we ate at the hotel. It was crazy in there for 5:45pm. 30 minutes we found out why. At 6:24 the bar manager sabres a bottle of champagne to celebrate the year that the hotel opened (1824) and to celebrate the weekend. So everyone comes to watch that, plus to drink after work, there were some people from a wedding and there was a camera crew filming a documentary about the hotel. It was interesting chaos.

    Riverdance was awesome like it was many moons ago. Watching it in Dublin made it more interesting as there was a lot of hooting, whooping and cheering. So very entertaining.

    Keeping with our tradition (okay we did it once) of having a night cap at another hotel bar, the Horseshoe bar. The Horseshoe Bar has always been a destination, an institution and a living history of Irish society. From business and politics to the arts, it has been home to some of Ireland's most fascinating characters since 1957. So much history here. We had our cocktail and then left when a loud American came and started talking to anyone who would listen to him.
    Read more