Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Willkommen in Berlin!

    December 10, 2022 in Germany ⋅ ☁️ 28 °F

    What a long day! We landed this afternoon around 3pm local time. By the time we cleared customs it was already dark, sunset here is at 3:45pm. But that didn’t stop us! Tonight we visited our first two Christmas Markets.

    As the flurry’s fell from the sky we started at Weihnachtsmarkt auf dem Alexanderplatz. Immediately we could feel Christmas in the air with all of the booths and local eateries. At this market we tried three different foods.
    First we started with a traditional Bratwurst. Julie thought it was juicy and delicious with lots of great flavors. Jake was wowed by the bread and the deep flavors. We will definitely be having more.

    Second we had some sort of mystery bowl. It had potatoes and sausage in this ketchup curry sauce. We both agree it wasn’t our favorite.

    Finally, we tried a traditional Austrian pastry called Germknödel which is a soft piece of dumpling bread filled with fresh plums and topped with a vanilla sauce and cherries. Both of us really enjoyed this desert and want to try it again in Austria.

    While in this market we also went into this hand crafted Christmas store which had absolutely beautiful decorations. It was near impossible to pull Julie out.

    While wondering around we also stumbled upon a second Christmas market: Berliner Weihnachtszeit. It was huge and was in the middle of this beautiful square. We want to come back to that one and spend more time when we aren’t so tired.

    Overall it was a wonderful second day and we are looking forward to our first full day tomorrow!
    Read more