Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 170

    Our last day in Cape Town

    May 17, 2016 in South Africa ⋅ 🌧 24 °C

    Sadly, our time here has come to an end. Cape Town is an amazing place, and Nick is falling in love with it in much the same way Rachel did eight-plus years earlier. The combination of the ocean, beaches, local scenery, people, amazing variety of things to do, history, and culture all add up to a place I'd imagine is as unique as any on earth.

    Monday was spent apart - Nick went cage diving with great white sharks, a bucket list item that was amazing and exhilarating despite the frigid Antarctic Ocean waters in which we were diving. Sadly, no pictures from this day, but plenty of sharks and plenty of memories. Rachel spent the afternoon and evening catching up with old friends before we leave, luncheoning and then sharing dinner with two different pairs of former UCT friends! It's been really enjoyable having so many wonderful people surrounding us here - it's the first place we've been in several months that felt a little bit like home :)

    Before we dropped our rental car back at the airport, we spent the day hiking, picnicking, and, yes, drinking atop Table Mountain, the giant, almost entirely flat mountain-plateau which rises above Cape Town and gives the city its shape. Not wanting to miss the view from the top (it's largely been cloudy while we've been here), we decided to skip the hike and ride the cable car to the top. With standing room for 65 and a rotating floor ensuring a 360-degree view, it's a pretty cool experience. The view from the top is truly spectacular, combining mountain and city and ocean better than anything I can remember. Check out the pics!
    Read more