Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 213

    A city like no other

    June 29, 2016 in Italy ⋅ 🌙 23 °C

    Let us start this post by simply stating that Venice is incredible. We had an amazing time here and can only wish that we had more than a day to spend in the city (not that we really have the budget for that). The physical landscape (canals, taxi boats etc.) is well known, but until you actually see it, it's hard to fathom a city built entirely on water. Even Amsterdam, another city with a network of canals, has streets with cars, parallel parking and bike paths. Venice is simply boats and narrow alleys, piazzas, and canals small and large.

    Just wandering around the city felt like going back in time, with small shops that dated back hundreds of years. Venice historically was a wealthy, intellectually advanced society built on trade with both the east and west, and the architecture and artistic choices of the city reflect this. It was clear that despite the oligarchic rule of the city, the populace was well-supported and public services were valued. Touring the former residencies and state palaces in the Museo Correr and Palazzo Ducale was a clear reminder of this, as the immense frescoes covering the walls and gold-gilted ceilings made it clear they valued public service.

    We spent a whirlwind day in the city, also touring the mammoth Saint Mark's cathedral, dining at a classic street café, ate gelato beside a small canal and took more pictures than we have in weeks. We would have loved to have more time, but at least we know we'll definitely be back :)
    Read more