Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Phnom Penh, capital city, Day 1

    January 28, 2019 in Cambodia ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    Moving to bullet style for the sake of efficiency. It was kind of a heavy day so we are going to go play board games at the cafe next door to chill. Before potentially watching the Angelina Jolie movie about the Cambodian Genocide on Netflix. I'll let you know how that goes...

    Genocide museum- S21 a prison torture center to get confessions out of prisoners ( anyone against the Khmer Rouge) and holding space before the captives before being taken to the killing fields to be executed. We opted to split up the museum and killing fields instead of doing them both in the same day for emotional reasons. And I didn't take any photos at s21...(see AKs post for a few) the facility was a school before the regime took over and used the classrooms as holding cells and torture rooms. It was a very sombering experience, but I'm glad we have the chance to at least get a glimpse of what really happened in those three dark years in 1970.

    National museum- beautiful open air museum which flows from early 6th century writings on stone tablets, through modern (20th century) kings clothing and art. Full if statues and pieces from the temples all over the country. I'm glad we were able to see the temples in person first, then see the persevered and extra special pieces on display.

    ***David's Restaurant Homemade Noodles**
    Davids noodle house has been the shining star of the day- we had pineapple shake, dumplings, spring rolls, soup with hand pulled noodles. If you ever find yourself on this side of the planet- make an extra effort to eat noodles at Davids. By far the best food we have had on this trip. Absolutely delicious.
    Read more