Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Car breaks down

    December 12, 2015 in Mexico ⋅ ☁️ 0 °C

    Driving towards Puebla we missed the turnoff after Cuautla, so inadvertently started on the old road to Oaxaca, then started to head back towards the highway and I asked Luci why she was driving so slowly, she said no power, and we coasted to a stop. Called car rental company, they sent a replacement car which took around 4 hours to arrive. We waited over the fence in a dry field in front.of a spectacular mountain. Luci insisted we house valuables in case we are assaulted. A guy walked up from from his parked car under a sign just down the road, his job is to stay by a sign selling blocks of land here, in the middle of nowhere. His retainer is MXN1000 (AUD80) per week. Some days no-one stops. Last sale was 2 months ago, so got a commission of MXN1000 (AUD8).
    Meanwhile peregrinos from various communities for the Virgin of Guadalupe came past from time to time in organised relays, usually running relay from a support vehicle, sometimes on bicycles, once on motor bikes.
    Turned out it was the belt that had failed on the old (white) car. On the replacement (red) car the boot wouldn't close until the guy from down the road worked out you had to push from almost closed on the sides and not the centre. We drove on top Puebla, the guy from down the road drove home having had more excitement today than he normally gets in a week, and the guy from the rental company waited for the tow truck to come who knows when.
    Read more