Satellit
Vis på kort
  • Dag 39

    Cuba day 8 to Trinidad

    6. januar 2016, Cuba ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    The taxi was to pick us up at 9, and at that time we were almost ready. But no taxi. Luci rang, to be told that the the driver had just returned from Havana and needed to rest a couple of hours first. We were unimpressed and worried that he would still be tied (and dangerous) after that.

    Aleisha and I went to the Hotel Melia to buy internet cards, when we got back Luci had had no luck, so she and I went back to the Hotel Melia area to look for transport. One offer was an older car (no aircon) for CUC150. Then we met the guy with whom Mira had famed last night, and he had put us in contact with Emenejirdo, who had apparently successfully represented Cuba in fencing at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics. Now he earns CUC200 per month and was recently given a cart, a Renault. Luci negotiated

    Flattish country with sugar cane, maize and some banana slowly gave way to drier castle country. Lots of house drawn carriages and cyclists, particularly dangerous as night feel near Camagüey as most did not have lights. Overall there was very little traffic, what there was was equal cars, trucks and busses. People standing by the road displays bank notes to show they were willing to pay for a ride, but based on the lack of traffic I suspect it would take a very long time to move.

    Many bicycle taxis and horse taxis in the towns, cars very rare. People visibly working were few, those sitting, or standing, and waiting were many.

    Stopped after a few hours in a town that smelt of vomit, under a bridge were artists taking a break from painting revolutionary scenes. Laure afternoon a delicious late lunch of pork in a spiced brown sauce, with yucca and a fried like a sweeter potato chip; Luci & Mira had fish.

    Roads in genera are straightl not bad but in patches terrible, clearly they are rarely maintained. The driver is great, very considerate (eg, slowing for a photo, or shipping lights for oncoming traffic). Often has to ask directionsas aa there are no signs. Very cautious too, only overtakes when very safe. But he speaks fast and abbreviated so I understand little of what he says.
    Læs mere