Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 32

    Cuba day 0 Havana accommodation issues

    December 30, 2015 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 12 °C

    Luci had given up on finding a decent place to stay a week or so ago, so I started looking. There are a number of web sites offering 'casas particulares', private houses renting a room or two. One booked us in and we were sent photos and confirmation along with a promise to pick us up at the airport.

    When we got through immigration and customs there was no-one waiting for us. The information desk offered to ring the place we were meant to stay, turns out they were full and so didn't bother to come pick us up. But after the phone call they did organize another place for us to stay, at a discounted price of CUC25 for the inconvenience.

    A taxi driver called José took us there, but there was no-one home (or maybe he tookiselsewhere, we wouldn't have known). So he took us to someone he knew and they got a friend to get a room ready for us, apparently normally rented to a student, but she is on holidays to the US at the moment). I imagine that he got a cut of what we will pay. It is just before new year, so pretty much everything is booked out.

    As I write this it's almost 1am, hopefully the room will be ready soon as we are dead tired...
    Read more