Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 108

    Sigiriya, Ambuluwawa tower & co.

    June 18, 2023 in Sri Lanka ⋅ 🌬 28 °C

    Starting from Kandy, we also splurged a bit on a day tour with multiple temple stops and the main stop at the famous Sigiriya, an ancient rock fortress listed as World Heritage Side by UNESCO. What a place! Ruins of an ancient fortress on top of a massive granit rock of approx. 180m hight and with lots of awesome ancient wall paintings (including the nicest tits I‘ve ever seen)? Yes please!! Almost justifies the entry fee of 25 $ per person 😉.
    Further included in the trip (next to the temples mentioned) was a stop at a spice garden which is basically a living outdoor museum of plants that are frequently used for cooking and/or healing in Sri Lanka (sidenote: aryuvedic medicine is big here). It is free, comes with a guide (ours even spoke german!) and it was indeed interesting - who knows that vanilla and pepper are liana plants?! (You‘re welcome for that free random party fact btw.) Also, did you know that curry is a plant but has neither the colour(s) nor the taste we are used to at home? Well, we did not!

    What also had to be visited when being in Kandy is the infamous and super scary Ambuluwawa temple tower which stands ‚only‘ 48 meters tall but 1) on top of a mountain and b) has a winding staircase barely fitting Alina and therefore not really fitting Gilles. Therefore, Alina had her adrenaline rush on top of the tower all by herself 🤷🏻‍♀️ Sidenote: one picture was taken from google so you see the full crazyness of the tower and the reason why Alinas face looks a little uncomfortable in the picture on the tower 🙃.

    So, even though very expensive, we loved both of the trips very much! ❤️
    Read more