Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 163

    Guayaquil, Ecuador

    August 12, 2023 in Ecuador ⋅ ⛅ 31 °C

    Our first stop in country no. 7 was Guayaquil, the gateway city to the galapagos islands at the westcoast of Ecuador. We didn‘t know much about Guayaquil and only chose it because it was the cheapest destination in Ecuador to fly to from Bogotá - We only found out at the airport that Guayaquil is said to be one of the most dangerous cities in Ecuador 😅 Luckily enough, our hotel was located right at one of the „safe zones“ for tourists, so we had around two to three blocks where we knew we can walk around a bit without getting in trouble - even though we don‘t know how bad it really is in Guayaquil, we were not eager to find out 🙃.
    All in all, it was a good decision to only stay for one day, as the city really has nothing to offer apart from a viewpoint (which we did not do), a cablecar across the river (same as above) and a really big, really crowded and really overrated river promenade. So: If you go to Ecuador and if possible, skip Guayaquil ;) We were quite happy to depart by bus, finally off to the mountains of Ecuador for some altitude acclimatisation and trekking!
    Read more