Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 261

    Buenos Aires Part II

    November 18, 2023 in Argentina ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    Our final big adventure was over, and hell we were tired both physically and psychologically (who can blame us 😉), so what’s a better place to go than our home away from home? 🥰 This time, though, we made the big mistake to not only book a hostel, but also to only check the prices in Argentinian Pesos on booking.com in advance, thinking that the (ridiculous!) amount of USD charged for the double room must be because the app uses the official exchange rate and that the hostel surely would not do that - well, we were wrong 😅 So instead of our gorgeous AirBnB from our first time in Buenos Aires we were now stuck in a shitty hostel with a prison cell-like double room in front if the shared kitchen and bathroom for whooping 60 USD a night 😂 Our only consolidation was that it will only be for three nights!
    Luckily, Buenos Aires is full of attractions and things to do, so even though we’ve already spent 6 days here before, we still had a good time avoiding the hostel and enjoying the city life - and we loved it as much as the first time ❤️ The area was a slightly different one (Palermo Soho instead of ‘classic’ Palermo) and - as a funny coincidence - we found a Patagonia brewery stall in falling-over distance of our hostel 😍 Also, by exploring the new neighbourhood we discovered that there is a very lively (and lovely!) viaduct in the city which we never heard or read about?! And as a bonus, it directly leads you to the big-ass park area which sports a japanese garden, a botanic garden AND a rose garden, all of them beautifully made and with little lakes inside. As one of these was on our to-do list anyways, we had a long walk with beautiful views of the viaduct and enjoyed the rose garden. We also visited the Recoletta Cemetery, a well-known and highly recommended attraction in Buenos Aires, and we LOVED IT!! Never have we seen so much old money and decadence in one place before! 😂 But it was also so much fun to see the completely different architectural styles and to discover all the details the rich felt necessary to include in their mausoleums - some new, some super old and in various states of decay.
    As a last activity we grabbed our friend Ninon who we met on the Salkantay trek and went to explore the various sunday markets in town (finally some souvenir shopping 😍) and showed her the San Telmo Food Market. Safe to say she loved it as much as we did 🥰
    And before we knew, it was already time to leave our expensive little prison room to have a quick detour to yet another country: Uruguay, here we come!
    Read more