Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    Laid back in LA

    January 2, 2012 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    It was another early start to catch our flight from San Francisco to Los Angeles. While it was a short visit to San Fran we really enjoyed our time in the city. It has a very different vibe to New York, more laid back and relaxed. Of couse it was a lot smaller but it still had a lot to offer, though I do admit I don't think we would have liked to have lived in San Fran like we did in New York for a few weeks I think we would have run out of things to do.

    We caught a small Delta Airlines jet (a Bombardier CRJ700 for those who need to know) for the 40 minute trip down the coast to Los Angeles and had some great views of the city on landing. Once off the plane we noticed one thing - it was very warm. One thing we didn't expect to need on this trip would be shorts but in LA we do.

    We are staying in the Best Western Hotel on Sunset Boulevard and once we had dumped the luggage and had something to eat we caught a cab to the Hollywood walk of fame. This was one crowded street. We found the Chinese Theatre and the various prints in the cement and walked up and down a few blocks looking at the masses of names. Then we found a spot looking at the Hollywood sign on the hills and took a few photos.

    LA is very different to the other cities. It feels more tropical and a lot more spread out. In New York and San Fran we caught 1 cab and that was when we arrived in New York, in LA cabs are the only viable way of getting around. This city is in love with the car. I still haven't got the hang of driving, I try and work out where the cabbie is going to go when driving in traffic but I get it wrong every time usually ending up on the wrong side of the road.

    We did some shopping and then headed back to the hotel for pizza and bed.

    Tomorrow we go to the movies!
    Read more