Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Hornillos

    May 18 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    Day 16 Hornillos
    Distance from Burgos to Hornillos 24kms

    Camino Part 2/3 - ‘Mind’.
    Having completed Part 1 of the Camino - ‘Physical’ we were about to start Part 2 and walk the Meseta (plateau)
    with its relentless kilometers of wheat and oats and not much else for several days. We were ready.
    The sun was shining and as we were leaving Burgos were fortunate to spy a pair of storks high up on a monument feeding their young.
    We came upon a tiny chapel with a nun in attendance and as we entered were given a necklace (our shield and strength along the way) and a blessing. The nun was so small in stature but so great in her faith.
    What a beautiful day it has been walking in such a peaceful setting passing sheep with a shepherd watching over his flock before we stopped for a picnic lunch. The winding path continued but it was flat and we set a good pace.
    Hornillos our village for the night is small with many homes abandoned and mud houses still standing some decaying. After checking into our albergue we took a walk around the village and came upon some hobbiton like dwellings and cute cottages.
    We loved the first day of the Meseta.
    Read more