Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Day 09 - Le Départ

    April 23, 2022 in France ⋅ 🌧 10 °C

    So up at 7.30am and bags packed - not quite as neatly as on the outward leg it has to be said.
    Breakfast and tea, rubbish to the bins and rooms checked for anything left behind. Bags into the boot . . . then out again when some late finds were located that needed popping in one of the bags - then back in again.
    A visit from Monique and Michel to check we hadn’t destroyed the place, followed by some lengthy goodbyes. Then we were off!!
    We decided to take the lengthy route to the airport to kill some time and so pushed on via the D15 and D931 to Agen, We skirted the outskirts of Agen before taking the D813 with the intention on staying on this through and all the way to Toulouse. We stuck rigidly to the D813 keeping the river Garonne to our offside. For the first since Tuesday we had rain all the way. When we reached Castelsarrasin we decided to grab a coffee and had to run from the car to avoid the worst of the downpour.
    After coffee we continued on the D813 until we reached Grisolles. We then headed south west towards Toulouse on the D49 and D17 and on route took in the sights of Granade, the location of our first nights meal.
    Passing through Granade we took the Rue de Toulouse in to the fringe of the airport.
    As we were still early we took in a couple of shops in a nearby shopping mall before finally making our way to the airport and the car rentals.
    Car returned without issue we entered the airport and started our fairly lengthy wait for the flight.
    To keep me occupied I was told by Teresa that Mr H and Munch had spotted an unattended bag and some shoes outside the mens toilet, which apparently had been there for some time.
    On checking the area of the bag and spotting a number of still full wine bottles I guessed what awaited - and sure enough, on opening a closed, but not locked mens cubicle, I was almost overcome with alcohol fumes. Within, was an awake but collapsed, shabbily dressed man, in a state of part undress, slumped against the cubicle wall but half balanced on the khazi, mumbling French to me.
    Not wanting to try and get him out myself and risk wearing any of the wine he had consumed, I went and sought help. Two minutes later French medical staff attended and whisked the guy away, together with his bottles of unconsumed red.
    Anyhow - excitement over we eventually checked in and made our way un-eventfully through security to await our flight.
    I noted on my phone whilst waiting that Man Utd had suffered another poor result, which did make me giggle but that quickly stopped when I realised my lot were as likely a poor result tomorrow.
    Anyhow that’s us - sitting waiting at the gate for a plane.
    Will Fury have won by the time we land, will Putin have fired nukes?
    Not looking forward to the days ahead once back in the UK.
    Read more