Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    18.09 - Day 02. Épernay & Champagne

    September 18, 2022 in France ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    So we had our first lay in for I don’t know how long - was a joy not to have to be anywhere at any time!
    I finally caught up with Tre sitting in the sunshine outside the hotel at about 11am (I got up last) and we took a relaxed stroll back into Épernay central looking for a coffee and some breakfast. As usual in France we were a little late and having taken in a small street market we grabbed a table in the sunshine at Le Khédive in Rue de la Porte Lucas, a stones throw from last nights restaurant.
    After a well sought after coffee we decided it would be a good idea to lunch now and then not have to worry to much later for food.
    Tre decided it was late enough in the day to sample her first champagne of the day and I jumped in with a rouge beer that everyone around us seemed to be sampling.
    We spent a good couple of hours enjoying the sunshine and warmth of the day, lovely food including mirabelle crumble and a couple more drinks. I am now officially a fan of Affligem Rouge - mixed berry beer.
    After lunch we wandered some of the surrounding streets finding a part ruin of the original Épernay Notre Dame Church.
    A few minutes later we spotted Moët & Chandon main building and the Ballon D’Epernay. Looking to get a little closer we found ourselves in Avenue de Champagne, a street with all the main Champagne producers having a presence - in the main, stunningly majestic and grand pieces of French architecture.
    We started our stroll along the Avenue taking in Moët & Chandon, Hôtel de Ville, Perrier Jouet, and Collard Picard amongst others. At Hôtel de Ville we detoured down through the stunning gardens that host it, and out the northern gate to visit Église Notre-Dame, the church that holds centre stage within the town.
    The church was typically beautiful inside, with an abundance of stained glass windows held under its considerable and high roof. I can only say that there must be a lot of naughty people in Épernay, maybe due to the champagne - as I have never seen so many confession boxes within one church!
    We returned to the Avenue de Champagne after the excursion to the church to continue our champagne education. By this I mean we stopped at Collard Picard for a further glass of fizz making the most of the late afternoon sun and watching the slightly brisk wind that had started, play havoc with Tre’s hair whilst she tried to look cool sipping fizz with the other trendies!
    We then commenced our walk back to the hotel stopping to buy ourselves a champagne stopper, for use with our undoubted champagne purchases tomorrow!
    Back at our little bolt hole we simply chilled and reflected on a relaxed and enjoyable day.
    Tomorrow’s to do list:
    Get up
    Buy champagne
    Drive for 6 hours
    Arrive at our destination.
    Chill
    Read more