Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    (Dr) Koh Lipe & Pattaya Beach (Thailand)

    February 18, 2023 in Thailand

    This island in general was one of my favorite places. Maybe my fave as I love heat and beaches and laid-back living.

    Koh Lipe defines island paradise. Warm water, clean fine white sand beaches, and a hearty island culture. Time stands still here - no one knows the date or time. (This is why Naila had to try 4x to watch the sunset 😆. They kept missing it. We waitjed the time in the last night to ensure we got there.) Well, tourism staff and dive shops surely do but the rest of us just walk around in ignorant bliss. We follow our bellies to mealtime and wander where and when we like.

    Cats & dogs. Tides.

    No clubs. No cars.

    INFO FROM THAI TOURISM:
    Koh Lipe Island in Thailand boasts a Walking Street, where souvenir shops, pharmacies, travel agencies, cafes, restaurants, etc. The prices on the main street of the island are quite high. This local attraction begins at Pattaya Beach and stretches to Sunrise Beach. The signs indicate that the street is open from 6pm to midnight, but Walking Street does not close. Many cafes, restaurants and bars open in the afternoon. Of course, most of the establishments empty and close by midnight.

    Interesting fact! The maximum distance between the beaches on the island is 1 km, so during your vacation you can easily visit everyone. A walk from one to another takes about a quarter of an hour.

    Koh Lipe Island in Thailand is located in the southern Andaman Sea and belongs to the province of Satun. This is the southernmost point of the country. On a sunny, cloudless day from the island you can see the coast of Malaysia, namely the Langkawi archipelago, located at a distance of 30 km.

    The Adang archipelago, located in the southern part of the Andaman Sea, near the mainland of Thailand and Malaysia, is often called the “Thai Maldives”, primarily for snow-white sand. Koh Lipe (Thailand) is the only inhabited island in this archipelago.

    Tourists come here to enjoy serenity and tranquility. In addition, the island attracts divers, because many marine inhabitants live on the coast – almost a quarter of all existing in nature. The island is the southernmost point of Thailand.

    The length of the island is only 3 km, it is easy to get around on foot, the indigenous people on Koh Lipe about 800 people. The main source of income is fishing, tourism.

    Interesting fact! The indigenous population belongs to the sea gypsies – immigrants from Malaysia, who arrived on the island about a century ago.

    In Koh Lipe, there is the Tarutao Theme Marine Park, which has been given national status; at the end of the 20th century it was called the second largest in Thailand.

    The distance to Phuket is 250 km, to Krabi is about 220 km, and 70 km to the mainland of Thailand.
    Read more