Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Nathon Pier, Koh Samui Island

    February 24, 2023 in Thailand ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    This time we're on the Gulf side of Thailand. Koh Samui is Thailand’s third-largest island at 25 x 21 km (252 square km). The main road around the island's circumference is 55km.

    Nathon is the capital city of Koh Samui.

    Nathon Pier on the NW coast is one of 4 main ferry piers on Koh Samui. It has 3 different jetties - a group of 3 piers essentially. We arrived on the northern jetty which is used by Seatran. The central one – the largest and oldest jetty – is used by Lomprayah Ferry. The smaller southern jetty is for fishing and long-tail boats. The 2 larger jetties have waiting rooms, shops, food vendors, and lots of traffic. As in cars, motorbikes, tuk tuks, taxis and passenger vehicles all drive up to the boats.

    There's only one taxi company on the island, which is why we saw a sea of yellow and maroon cars upon disembarking the ferry. Justin was on the ball and got us the first cab out of there. Phew! Hundreds of other people wished for the same. He watched where the locals went as the ferry approached land, which got us to the front of the line where the departure tunnel connected to the boat; like the airplane gangplanks. This was not the same place we got on the boat. Then he quickly found the cab-organizer - the woman with the clip-board.
    Read more