Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Kayak classes

    August 11, 2021 in Slovenia ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    Like last year, our main motivation to come back to Bovec was to improve our white water kayak skills in the most beautiful scenery possible: Slovenia's Soča river.
    Since we came in high season, we had to switch to a different kayak school. The agency we went with last year was already fully booked, the guy they recommended us to go with at first offered us private classes, but then completely forgot about us. Hence this year's instructor was Jaka from Aktivni Planet, one of the few local guides working in the valley. Even as (at best) intermediate level kayakers, we noticed the quality of his ten-year guiding experience as well as his lifelong kayak practice. Although Julia and I both had our ups and downs, we learned a lot in the three days with Jaka.
    Still, we again regretted having booked only three days, as it took us at least 1,5 days to feel as comfortable in the kayak as we did at the end of last year's three-day course. We managed to extend our stay in Bovec and kayak an additional day, but with a different company (again, high season sucks). We had a super fun group with a Slovenian couple (Amanda & Matjaš) as well as a funny young guide this last day. It was perfect to just spend some more time on the water and improve our feeling for the river, but I guess next time we'll still need to plan for a longer course.
    Read more