Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Old & new friends

    August 14, 2021 in Slovenia ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    One of the things that make Bovec so addictive are the people. As it is a place that is perfect for nothing but outdoor activities - ranging from water sports over canyoning, climbing and alpinism all the way to skydiving - most of the people that come here are very much like-minded. They prefer adrenalin and physical activity over big city life and beaches. Moreover, Bovec is so small that you may accidentally bump into your friends three times a day.
    Thus it happened that within only a few hours after our arrival, we met both our first ever kayak guide Sebastian, who now owns a white water stand-up paddling school and our kayak instructor from last year: Marci. With him and his friend Boti we hung out almost every night, we even went down to the river bank one evening and had a beautiful time watching shooting stars and learning Hungarian childhood songs at the campfire. They may have gotten a little bit tired of us after the fifth goodbye (we kept bumping into each other in town and on the river), but I'm sure we'll meet again in Cologne, Budapest or if we actually do go back to Bovec this September.
    At the hostel we seemed zu be a dutch kann's magnet. At some point we were a group of ten people - all but Julia and me from the Netherlands. This group was another reason to stay in Bovec longer than planned. Just when we had finally (almost) convinced ourselves to leave, I received a text from Tom (he and Joey and already left to Bled), saying they were coming back. Lucky for us, Cille and Veerle had rented an apartment with several spare rooms. So in the end we spent our last night in Bovec all together like a big family, after entertaining all the guests at Nono's pizza place.
    And then there is Miha, who used to pick us up every day for kayak classes. Unfortunately we didn't get to know him that well on these short drives, but at the end of our last night he ran into us and we could at least still have a beer with him.
    Read more