Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 25

    Pucón

    February 8 in Chile ⋅ ☁️ 22 °C

    Our last destination is Pucón, probably the most famous and thus incredibly touristy town in southern Chile. We happen to be visiting right in one of the four most busy weeks of the year: there are tons of people and traffic, getting in and out of town becomes a nightmare. Besides this, however, Pucón seems to be better suited to the tourist masses than is usual vacation home Bovec.
    With weeks (in Julia's case months) of traveling behind us we get kind if lazy. My only activity is three days of kayak school and a spontaneous rafting trip on Trancura Alto (including the Marimán drop) our friend Pato invited us to, Julia joins just for part of the classes. I feel like in just a few classes with Jano, the owner of Pucón Kayak School, I make huge progress and I'm super psyched to be going not only on several sections of Liucura river (class II-III), but also the Trancura Bajo (III), which has several pretty technical drops navigating through rocks and a few enormous waves.
    The rest of the time we hang out at the beach of Lago Villarica, eat ice cream or hang out with friends from back in Slovenia. We cannot bring ourselves to do one of the many great (but looong) hikes in the area and get to see the famous Villarica volcano only from afar. Fun fact: in winter the glacier on top of this active(!) volcano is used for skiing.
    Read more