Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 44

    D44 Italy - Napoli

    August 17, 2019 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Well we’re back here again, and at the same mini hotel too. It’s comfortable and conveniently located near the old town. The bus stop to the airport is nearby too, handy for our early departure tomorrow morning.

    We left Praiano after a buffet breakfast at the ritzy pants hotel. I did my best to eat my moneys worth, although regretted that decision after the coffee had worked its magic and we wound our way along the curved roads in the bus towards Sorrento. I’ve never enjoyed bus trips, let alone those on curved roads. A good train journey will beat a bus every time. It’s like... do you prefer dogs or cats? City or country? Movie or park? Riding a train backwards or a bus? What’s your preference?!

    We arrived in Sorrento then jumped on the Circumvesuviana train to Napoli. 32 stops later, a metro ride, and here we are again at B&B Monserrato. We wandered through the streets, ate what we believe will be our last gelato in Italy (I stand by the fact I could still have one for breakfast at the airport), and then caught up on our writing before getting ready for dinner.

    Dinner was tantalisingly... underwhelming... we had planned to go to a lovely cheap trattoria that came on recommendation and coupled with excellent reviews, however they had closed for a few weeks. We then tripped north to another one of the 100 premium authentic pizzerias in Napoli, only to find that it too was closed. We weren’t having much luck so ducked into a nearby trattoria with a decent google rating above 4. It was ok; we both got a tasty yet unidentifiable part of beef with a big bone attached and plenty of fat, with a side of peppers, greens and some of the best deep fried potato chips I may have ever eaten - they were definitely the stand out part of the meal. Accompanied by a 3€ litre of red wine, the meal may not have been the blow-your-socks-off Italian feast we’d hoped for on our last night, but it was good value, and perhaps that’s something to reflect on as we compare the many amazing (and not so amazing) meals that we’ve eaten during our time in Italy. One thing’s for sure, we’ll be eating more authentic Italian style food when we get home.
    Read more