Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 47

    D47 Turkey - Istanbul

    August 20, 2019 in Turkey ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Today is officially day 2 of our Turkish tour, and for the remainder of our time here we’re going to approach the blog with a more visual perspective. Each of our days is pretty jam packed with activities so there will be plenty of photos (and commentary) to keep you entertained!

    After breakfast we left the hotel and started the walking tour which, of the next 5 hours, led us to:
    -Gulhane Park, one of the biggest parks in Istanbul.
    -The plaza of the Blue Mosque, which is unfortunately going under significant renovations, which means minimal viewing of its famous blue tiled dome. This plaza also houses the Hagia Sophia Museum, a huge Turkish hammam (public baths) and most important, snack carts. Shortly after we’d digested our breakfast we were introduced to the Turkish ice cream called Dondurma, which has a “gummy” consistency and is made of goats milk, sugar, salep flour and mastic gum. The ice cream vendors put on an theatrical act by stretching and pounding the icy block with a long metal stick to make it palatable, and then they tease and taunt you by pretending to drop it, steal the cone etc. I would’ve loved to have had this as a kid growing up!
    -The Grand Bazaar, a HUGE labyrinth of stores selling everything from shoes to jewellery to fake Gucci tops. I believe Mete said it’s currently the world 3rd largest market, and its hard not to get completely lost!
    -The Suleymaniye Mosque, an ornate 16th century mosque which has recently been renovated and is absolutely inside.
    -The Spice Market for tea and Turkish delight!

    Enjoy!
    Read more