Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 61

    D61 Turkey - Kahta Homestay to Mt Nemrut

    September 3, 2019 in Turkey ⋅ ☀️ 33 °C

    A Snapshot of Our Day

    Photo 1 - All but two of us opted to sleep outside overnight as it was way too stuffy inside the house. It was the windiest night I’ve ever experienced in the outdoors, and that combined with the unmilked cow mooing and local cats fighting made for a not so successful night of sleeping. But as soon as the sun started to rise, the wind stopped and we could enjoy an hour of calmness.

    Photo 2 - A perfect Turkish breakfast, balanced out with chips of course! It was SO GOOD!

    Photo 3 - Everything on the breakfast table was grown and prepared on this land, down to the homemade cheese and grape molasses (Ant could have drunk cupfuls if there was enough!). The kids kept themselves busy with filling up everyone’s tea glasses and running around laughing at themselves!

    Photo 4 - The small village of Kahta from the rooftop.

    Photo 5 - Ahbrahim and his beautiful family (the eldest boy was probably already out working in the fields already!) were so good to us, and even with communication barriers we felt right at home with them. Mete told us that the family knew the owner of the transportation company that Intrepid uses for their tours, and had been hosting tour groups for the last 2 years.

    Photo 6 - Hiking up to the peak of Mount Nemrut, which stands at 2132m above sea level.

    Photo 7 - Loving any chance to sit in the shade in this intense midday heat!

    Photo 8 - He’s on top of the world!

    Photo 9 - Mete, Brent, Terry, Ant and I enjoying some wine and chats while we wait for the sun to set on the west side of Mount Nemrut.

    Photo 10 - Another day, and another beautiful Turkish sun has set on us. We were all a bit sad tonight as tomorrow we’ll be flying back to Istanbul and will be losing a couple of people from the group earlier than expected!
    Read more