Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Auckland city, Auckland

    October 18, 2016 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    So after missing our first flight to NZ from Kuala Lumpur due to a miscommunication issue with differing time zones we arrived in Auckland buzzing! Our first experience with public transport was relatively painless as everyone spoke English and didn't have to involve me playing an over exaggerated game of charades and also didn't include chickens, smoking or throngs of people staring and pointing.

    We got to our hostel where Joshy boy had booked us into and got our first shock taste of non-asian prices for the first time when we paid for our accommodation. It hurt. After already deciding that I will not be joining the other two on the van journey due to money circumstances this only strengthened my resolve to find a job asap and confirmed that I had made the right choice.

    Auckland was a cool place, nothing stand out about it in my opinion, just a city but after 8 months of South East Asia it was a nice change of environment. Our first evening we met Josh and his Kiwi experience mate who took us for dinner and drink which were served from a teapot. Edg-E.

    After that the next few days were pretty chilled as we were all trying to keep the spending downlow. We walked to the top Mt Eden, ate the infamous $5 pizza from domino's and bummed out in the library to use their free WiFi so I could look for a job, and they could look for vans, before we headed to Wellington which was recommended by Josh as better and cheaper. Win win for us!
    Read more