Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 95

    Mekong Delta

    May 20, 2016 in Vietnam ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    This was the last time I would be at the Mekong river for the foreseeable journey. From Thailand, through Laos, into Cambodia and now Vietnam. The lifeblood for countless people in this part of the world, It's role cannot be overstated.

    The tour took us on an exploration around 4 islands and a small offshoot inland. Starting on Unicorn Island we saw the local bee production whose honey is renowned in Vietnam. We were ferried between the islands in small boats paddled by little old ladies who were as hard as old boot leather. We fed some crocodiles, who are pure reptilian coldness - you can see it in their eyes, they'd eat you in a second. Took us on a tour around a coconut sweet fudge/chocolate factory and sampled some fruit picked from the orchards whilst we listened to some traditional Vietnamese musical instruments. It was all very nice but very setup and lots of other tours and tourists doing the same things but in different orders so as not to congest the place. It was a nice outing but overpriced for what it was, probably much cheaper to rent a bike and do it yourself.
    Read more