Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 80

    Breakdown in the Snow

    November 24, 2017 in Mongolia ⋅ ⛅ -7 °C

    True to the typical Mongolian adventure, our car broke down on the way to UB. Which meant we were stuck in the snow THANKFULLLY next to the highway which meant we were easily accessible (relative to someplaces we'd been to and where were actually meant to be!)

    We waited for about 1-2 hours whilst Bimba did his best with his basic set of tools to get it fixed again. The tyre came off as well as the metalwork down to the disc and still we couldn't get going.

    As its starting to get dark Ider says that we're going and he points to one of the trucks that has stopped to help with the car. A mini truck cab stacked full with hay bales was our ride out. Rach and I squashed into the cab to join a very confused but amused Mongolian lady, Rach having to sit on my lap as it was only a 3 seater. Our driver, guide and luggage all got thrown up to the top of the hay to keep safe, hang on and not freeze whilst 2 more people piled into the cab one of whom displayed some very impressive contortionist skills to squeeze in. All set we were on our way but not before our saviours whacked up the music full blast to give us some anthems for our ride. Their camp, unbeknown to us at the time, was about half an hour away as it was now dark heading into a field of snow well away from traffic, lights and civilization. The ride was bumby with a couple of hairy moments as the truck skidded and one time almost felt as though it would topple but all people and bags made it, 60 fingers, 60 toes (I hope), 2 bags and 1 very relieved tour guide to have his Fragile non-mongolian charges not to have to spend a night in the car in the cold. I actually really enjoyed the whole experience, doesn't seem right to go to Mongolia without having a breakdown of some sort. It was just another example of the generosity and hospitality of the people of this land (especially as we would end up as guests in the family's winter camp for 2 nights) and no matter what happens if your are near a camp and in need there is always a fire to share which, as a foreigner from London where someone would take the clothes of your back if you fell asleep outside, is a really comforting thing to know.
    Read more