Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 82

    Enter Gobi

    November 26, 2017 in Mongolia ⋅ ⛅ -7 °C

    Bimba's car fixed we left the camp after 2 nights to head to Ongi Khiid which meant that after our first half of our trip in the Khangai Mountains we were now entering our second part galavanting around the Gobi desert. The world's 5th largest desert and I also think one of the dryest (fact check), as we turned off the highway towards the south and steadily made our way the heavy snow disappeared (that had capsized more than 1 car as we'd driven past) to replaced by a very flat, brown tundra. I hadn't looked at pictures before so I didn't know what to expect and what suprised me the most is how much life there was. There were strong, gnarly weeds covering the landscape, birds flying around, herds of Bahrain (2 hump) camels, horses, wild gazelle, wild goat and rabbits could be seen at various times. The landscape even though it looked bleak and desolate was actually alive with its own ecosystem adapted to live in this harsh environment because it was harsh, even with no snow it was still bitingly cold. But the ground was tough ground and soil rather than sand which I think is why there is life in the desert.

    Once we were in the Gobi we were away from civilization again big time, no roads, no towns, small villages of a couple hundred people hundreds of kilometers apart. It was just us and our recently fixed car. Welcome to the Gobi.
    Read more