Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Old Phoebus (Hampton VA)

    August 29, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 82 °F

    We moved here to stage our entry to the bay after Idalia passes. It is a large anchorage, surrounded by land and bridges. It has a strong tidal flow, so you do swing at anchor. The bottom is soft mud, and water from 10-18 ft deep.

    We spent D1 on the boat, except for a small kayak tour.

    D2 we went to Old Point Comfort Marina, then walked to Ft Monroe. Ft Monroe is a 3rd generation fort, built to withstand anything a sailing ship could throw at it. Built over 15 years starting in the 1830s according to a French engineer's design, it used more than 10M bricks! It is also the largest fort ever built in America. If you walk around the parapet, it is a 1.3 miles walk.

    The fort was never attacked, but was used in the civil war to shell Confederate forts. After the war Jefferson Davis was imprisoned there.

    Fort Monroe was decommissioned in 2010 as part of the BRAC, and was transitioned to the National Park Service.

    Early Thursday morning Idalia's winds reached us. Neither the Rocna nor the Fortress anchors held fast (with only 20 kn of wind) so we had to re-anchor at 4am. After that, our anchors did well.
    Read more