Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4–8

    Bullock Harbor, The Berrys

    February 29 on the Bahamas ⋅ ☁️ 75 °F

    We left West End at 11pm, starting the trip in the dark so we could use daylight to navigate the shallows as we arrived. The arrival had the water depth change from >2000 feet to 10 feet in the space of just a few miles. After getting in the shallows of an unknown harbor, your last 2-3 miles is at a snail’s pace as you watch for too-skinny water.

    We toured the inner harbor, and found no good places to anchor (just too small) and rejoined the cruisers congregating near the government dock. Edit: later we found that in the last westerly blow there were 22 cruisers in the harbor. So much for not enough room. I guess I'll be looking for land inontama soon.

    Due to the E-SE winds, we stayed on the west side of Great Harbor Cay. There was good protection from wind and waves, so we slept well after our overnight passage.

    We met a delightful couple from Canada on sv Carreauna Rodney & Yolanda) and shared a dinner and tools with them as we waited for better weather before moving on.

    In the meantime, we tried over to a beautiful beach on the E shore and walked in seclusion. We found two sea beans!

    We also explored the ruins of what must have been a premium hotel.
    Read more