Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Genoa mistake

    July 10, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Mum & Dad will join us in Genoa today for lunch. In an attempt to limit traipsing mum all over the city I tried to book a restaurant so we had a no hassle afternoon. Unfortunately, far on the very of silicon valley, in a very spoilt traveller. None of the is table booking services work, I spend the early hours tracking down a restaurant that's open for lunch and taking online bookings. Port side I discover, just like their Spanish cousins, Italy had banned Uber! No bother we can get a taxi from the port and the restautant will call us one for a return trip.

    Just five KMs from the port, the Travis drop is right on the edge of there old town, at the bottom of a hill. We climb the hill through what otherwise looks like an ancient slumb, at the top of the hill we find out restaurant, doors closed. No bother they don't open until12pm, we a little early. A few minutes later a girl opens up, she carries out a bench for Mum and the kids to sit on and hangs a sign on the wall, it's Italian, we ignore it and wait for our 12pm table.

    We're right in antica here, there is a Saint Agostino church around the corner, Gab and I go for a wander while we wait, should only be a few hundred metres from the main square, but we can't find a path there. These buildings arrived century's ago, barely feet apart at some points, three tiny lanes conspire to hem us in least we get lost.

    It's 12pm, we return to the restaurant to find the doors locked shut! In our absence the girls had locked the doors and left. I finally pay attention to the sign she hung on the wall, a more careful study reveals their opening hours, with lunch only advailableon Sunday this week. Back down the hill we discover just how much you need uber. We're marooned on a busy street in melting heat and no taxis. I bury my head in the phone trying to find out how island live without Uber. Just as we've all depleted ourselves of hydration Gab successfully convinces the local petrol station guy to order us some taxis.

    Sorry star Gab saves the day and gets us to Piaza di Ferrari and discovers the Schweikerts wandering in the same area! A rare opportunity for a family selfie then she continues her success with an awesome lunch spot under the arcades. Foccacia is amazing, we have a new staple out place, Foccacia topped with mozzarella and first onions, delicious I can't pass up a pesto pasta in Genoa.

    We stroll the shops, 20mins in H&M has me and Fid take off on our own. The kids and I have a stop Ina cafe while Gab shops a bit more then find a gelatto place on the square. Obsessed with the cigarello aromas in Pamplona, I buy a packet and enjoy an Amrena gelatto in the square. The gelatto barely lands on the table before the princess that dragged us around bloody H&M looking at generic global fashion for half an hour has had enough, she demands the bill and a taxi. I'm ready to rid myself of her.

    We return to the boat, a group photo with Italian Mickie almost without the Bux, then Rapunzel's birthday in Rapunzel's Royal table, nearly includes an Attica shock induced heart attack for Dad as he creeps up from behind to shock us.

    To O'Gills again for the France v Belgium semi-final, a thrilling end to the day.
    Read more